Friday, November 22, 2013

Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Stuffed Flank Steak

Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Stuffed Flank Steak


This recipe came to be by being a complete accident. But a great accident nonetheless. I had went out and bought flank steak and didn't know what to do with it. Seeing as how beef is a tough meat when cooked for less time than it should be, I had to figure out what to do with it so that it would be soft rather than chewy. So my idea of a quick stir-fry was out. I thought back to what my husbands favorite dishes are... beef stroganoff. And that's when I realized, I will be finishing cooking the beef in a stroganoff broth.
Growing up in Ukraine, my grandmother would take care of me quite often. And when she cooked, it felt as though the Angels were singing. One of my favorite things were what she called "fingers". Fingers consisted of some type of meat, which I'm guessing was cubed beef steak, rolled up, and cooked in a sour cream mixed with something broth. To this day, I have no idea what exactly was in it. But I am determined to one day perfect it. Getting back to the point here, the longer you cook beef in a broth, the more tender it becomes. This recipe is definitely executed with a big thank you to my grandmother. Who despite having been far away for many years, was always close to my heart and I felt as though she was always rooting me on with my culinary dream. So grandma, this is for you.

Ingredients

- 6 to 12 pieces of 2"x4" flank steak.
- 1 medium to large onion.
- 1 package of button mushrooms.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- 1 stick of butter.
- 1 cup of water.
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Corn oil.

Steps

1. Prep your flank steak by adding desired amount of salt and pepper to taste. If you would like the steaks to roll better, use a meat tenderizer to beat it thinner. Not too thin so that it rips.
2. Slice your onion and mushrooms to desired thickness.
3. Melt 1/2 stick of butter in one pan and the other half in another pan.
4. Once butter is melted, add your sliced onion into your desired pan and add the sliced mushrooms to the other pan. Cook until golden.
5. Once your onion is golden, add the sugar on top and mix. Continue cooking until crispy.
6. When your mushrooms and onion are done cooking, take it out of the pans and start putting a desired amount of each onto your flank steaks. Make sure you do not put too much on the steak or else you will not be able to roll it up.
7. Once done, roll up all your steaks so they look like little chubby fingers and secure them with a toothpick.
8. Heat up corn oil in a pan and apply your rolled up steaks onto the pan and cook until golden on every side. DO NOT discard the oil and juices that come from the meat.
9. Once your meat is cooked, put it inside of a stove-top safe pot or my personal favorite,a stove-top safe dutch oven. Put it on medium heat and add in the juices from the pan you cooked the meat in and also apply your sour cream and water. Let cook for 30-45 minutes on medium heat until meat is done and tender.
10. Once completed, you may take the toothpicks out of your rolled up stuffed steak.
11. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment