Thursday, February 7, 2013

Teriyaki Beef

Teriyaki Beef




I was stunned when I found out that teriyaki beef does not in fact have the least bit of teriyaki sauce in it, on it, or anywhere around it. So sadly, now I have no clue what I'm going to use that gigantic jug of teriyaki sauce on... I'll find something, I always do.

It's really sad to say that teriyaki beef has got to be the single most amazing item on the whole Chinese food take-out menu that I've ever tried. And it get's expensive too! I wasn't about to break the bank and spend $4.00 on 4 pieces of beef for my mere enjoyment whenever I wanted, so I decided to make my own. And goodness am I glad I did.
Not only did a small package of flank steak that cost me roughly $2.00 not have me living out in the streets inside of a box with my two huge dogs and my lovely husband, but it also made roughly about 12 pieces of this amazing creation.
Since my husband is currently away, I had my friend Caroline over for dinner and made her be my guinea pig this evening. And yes, I did make her try the beef first, so I knew if there would be any adverse reactions to it or if I should call the ambulance right away for both of us.
What I realized is that when Caroline really likes something, she will try to tell you so with her mouth full of that said item. So when she was telling me what she though about my take on the teriyaki beef, it sounded something like this : "oh mah gawd, tis es so gurd!" , needless to say, she enjoyed it. I'm sure you will too.

Ingredients :





  • 1 - 2 lbs flank steak, or really any type of thinly sliced beef. Cut into 1" x 4" strips. 
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce.
  • 1/4 cup water.
  • 1/4 cup olive oil.
  • 2 teaspoons ground mustard. 
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder. 


Steps :


1. In a large resealable bag (ziploc), combine the soy sauce, olive oil, water, ground mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder. Seal and shake the bag to mix everything together. Add the steak strips to the bag and seal. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours to marinate.
2. Preheat ovens broiler. And place steaks on broiling rack.
3. Broil the steak for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Arrange on platter and serve.




Thanks to Murphy's Law for biting me in the ass yet again, I, of course, ran into some difficulty with my oven. It refused to heat up when I had it on the broiler setting. Therefore I just baked the steak strips in the oven on 525 degrees, on a cookie sheet, without flipping the pieces over, for 10 to 15 minutes. I also had my steak strips marinating in the sauce for 26 hours. Which made them incredibly juicy and flavorful inside.

However despite my technical difficulties, the end result turned out wonderful! It is by far the most amazing pieces of meat I've ever had in my mouth. Take a moment to giggle. When you are all done with your laugh fest, I suggest you go and buy the damn ingredients and try it for yourself!

P.S. Do not forget to turn your oven off after you're done... I may or may not have forgot to do so myself... You'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment